Make your bed, have a better day!
Ever noticed that making your bed seems to make your day go better? Studies have shown that by starting your day by accomplishing one task (making your bed) makes you have a more productive day. Why not try it out? If you are not a common bed maker, maybe try and get in the habit.
In an inspiring commencement speech by Admiral William McRaven, he shares that “if you want to change the world, start by making your bed” (Admiral William McRaven). He says by making your bed you will have started the day off accomplishing one task, giving you a sense of pride. This also can remind you that the little things in life matter. If you can do the little things, that you can surely accomplish the big things. It may seem silly but this simple step of making your bed really can help improve your day. Think back to a time you had a bad day, how did you feel when you got home to see an unmade bed or a messy room? You probably felt some sort of stress. By completing this simple task right after you wake up, you will feel more accomplished.
This speech is one of many thoughts that making your bed in the morning can help you become more accomplished in your day. Try it! If you are not a typical bed maker, try to get in the habit of making your bed. Hopefully, this can improve your day, and feel more accomplished. One small step of making your bed could improve many aspects of your life.
Here is the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzLzbd-zT4
We know making your bed can be an annoying take. So here are some helpful tips to get you started!
- At the first of the week, take special care to do a nice job. Tuck all layers of the bed very well, this will make it easier the next day. Therefore having you spend less time throughout the week making the bed.
- Make the bed right after you get out of it! By getting into this habit, you will start to make the bed without even knowing it. Pure muscle memory!
- If you miss a day, don’t beat yourself up…but don’t get out of the habit!
- Sing, hum, play your favorite song while you make the bed. It makes the time go by faster, and it is fun!
- If you don’t love the look of your bed, think about changing it up! Find a new decorative pillow or colorful sham. This will make you excited to make the bed.
- Feel accomplished! It may seem small, but by making your bed every morning you are accomplishing something every day. Way to go!
Happy bed making!